Global land drilling rig market to recover following significant declines
The global land drilling rig market is expected to see a recovery from 2017, as commodity prices recover and drilling activity increases. This follows significant declines in drilling activity over the previous eighteen months, a trend expected to continue in 2016, following announcements of further reductions to capital expenditure as operators seek to minimise costs and maximise drilling efficiency in the downturn environment.
However, even with sustained low oil prices, demand for high-HP, high-specification is expected to rise over the forecast period, with the number of rigs drilling rated above 1,250HP forecast to increase at over 10% CAGR 2016-2020. A rise in horizontal drilling in Russia, as well as planned development of unconventional reserves in Saudi Arabia and China, will contribute towards this growth. Onshore field developments in Iran and Kuwait are also expected to result in high demand for high-HP rigs.
Recent technological developments within the market have been driven by the requirement to improve drilling efficiency. Sustained low oil prices have also resulted in an increased trend towards the recycling of components from idle rigs in the North American market. In the downturn environment, contractors are also seeking to capitalise on new, alternative markets, such as the Vaca Muerta region in Argentina, for their high-specification rigs.
Despite the recovery forecast in drilling activity, and the subsequent growth in the land rig market, neither the capable fleet size nor the number of operational rigs or rigs drilling is expected to reach 2014 levels by 2020. Subsequently, while the outlook for the market is relatively positive over the next four years, when compared with the trends seen over the previous eighteen months, it is unlikely to experience the level of activity seen in the pre-downturn environment until well into the 2020s.
This 5th edition of the World Land Drilling Rig Market Forecast covers all key commercial themes relevant to players across the value chain in the land rig sector:
- Drivers, trends & themes – a discussion of the fundamentals that drive the exploration process, including those which impact the land drilling market.
- Manufacturing – detailed overview of the key elements of a land rig, the supply chain and sales process. Global analysis of the key rig equipment manufacturers operating in each regional rig component market. Rig equipment trends for top drive systems & rotary steerable systems, automation & AC power and pad drilling & walking rigs. Land rig additions forecast.
- Regional drilling market – comprehensive summary at the regional level including: onshore wells drilled, rig fleet growth, active drilling rigs required and key trends in each region. Since producing the previous edition of the report, Douglas-Westwood has gained improved visibility of core markets such as Russia and Iran. For the 2016-2020 edition of the report, analysis for two new countries, Chad and New Zealand, has been included.
- Regional competitive landscape of identified rigs – matrix of drilling contractors operating in each region, indicating the overall size, composition and countries of operation of each contractor’s fleet.
- Market forecasts – comprehensive examination, analysis and ten-year view of the market, with historic data covering the period 2011-2015 and forecast data for 2016-2020, including: onshore wells drilled, rig fleet growth, active drilling rigs required and global trends.
Why purchase the World Land Drilling Rig Market Forecast?
The report includes the very latest market outlook based on DW Drilling & Production data and reflects the current low oil price environment.
DW’s market forecasting is trusted by sector players worldwide, with clients including the world’s top-10 oil & gas companies, top-10 oilfield services companies and top-10 private equity firms.
The report is essential reading for land rig contractors, rig manufacturers, oilfield service companies, oil & gas operators and financial institutions wanting to better understand where and when to make investment decisions.
Our proven approach includes:
- Unique and proprietary data – DW maintains a unique global in-house database of rig fleets: the Douglas-Westwood Land Rig Database, which is updated year-round from published sources and insight gained from industry consultation – this involves discussions with a wide-range of companies including equipment manufacturers, engineering consultancies and private equity firms.
- Methodology– the rig demand model is based on drilling and production forecasts and the rigs identified in DW’s Land Rig Database, with assumptions fine-tuned using knowledge which DW has gained through extensive consultations with industry.
- Country-by-country analysis – comprehensive examination of 37 key countries, including: oil & gas production, onshore wells drilled, active drilling rigs required, forecast rig utilisation, investment and key trends in each country, fleet capacity and features, plus the competitive landscape.
- Concise report layout – consistent with DW’s commitment to delivering value for our clients, all our market forecasts have a concise layout consisting of industry background and supporting materials condensed to enable quick review with ‘speed-read’ summaries of key points throughout.